If you know me, you know I love to celebrate things and I am always looking for excuses to do something special with my kids. Starting school is definitely one that I wouldn’t want to miss First day of school, specially for homeschoolers, should be a day when our kids get excited about the year, they can have a little peek at what they will be learning, and build some fun family traditions.
Here is 10 ideas to help you start the year in a fun and memorable way!
You can actually do most of these even if you are not homeschooling and it would be great too!
1. Have a special breakfast or take them out to their favorite breakfast place. I think it would be great if Dad would be able to join too. He could give the kids a SHORT encouragement to be diligent and work hard this year.
2. Get a special outfit. A couple of days before school starts, take them out to pick out one or two outfits and have them wear it on the first day.
3. Take a picture. Take a picture of them individually and you can do one of everyone in the family together too. This will help you and them to look back and see the changes through the years. You can even have them make a sign that says the year they are doing and hold it for the picture.
4. Write or make a picture on a journal. You can have a 1st day of school little journal and have them make a picture or write an entry on their goals, hopes or feelings about the coming year. Bring it out every year and it will be a wonderful thing for you and them to look back in the future. You can include the photo that you took and maybe a question that you ask every year to see the changes in response as they grow.
5. Have a picnic. After you have introduced them to the year, talked about rules, show them their materials, etc. Go outside for a picnic! Make sure you bring a ball and play some fun family games.
6. Wrap up their school supplies. Wrap your kids new school supplies in some fun wrapping paper. Place the gifts on each of their desks with a sweet note form you. Make sure you include some supplies with their favorite characters, maybe a box of his favorite snacks or anything that you think would bring a big smile to their face.
7. Have an interview!! This would be a really fun way to remember who they were and see their personalities through the years. Have a set of 3 or 4 questions and have fun watching them answer!!
8. Plant a flower. Buy a little pot for each kid and have them decorate it. Have your kids plant an inside flower in it and watch it grow through the school year. Make sure you choose something that requires low maintenance!!
9. Read a new book. Get a new book and have some special cuddle reading time with their favorite snack.
10. Go on a walk. Go on a family walk and give each member of the family a list of things to find. Have fun helping each other and try not to come back until you have find them all!!
No matter what you do, make it memorable and make it fun. Please comment and share things that you do with your family. I would love to hear other ideas!!